Pay Your Water Bill
The Water Department is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- Credit and debit card transactions (Master Card, VISA, or Discover) are accepted inside only.
- The returned check fee is $20.
- There is a drop box located next to the drive-through for payments after hours. Make sure to include the right side of your bill with payment. There are no envelopes provided, please supply your own envelope for your payment.
The miscellaneous fee on the water bill is primarily for the maintenance and upkeep of the fire hydrants throughout the city. However, it is also used to bill customers who have their own private fire hydrants and for customers (mostly businesses) that have sprinkler systems in their establishments. Every customer is charged a certain amount for the hydrant fee depending on the size of the meter; the larger the meter, the higher the fee.
Other Payment options
The Water Department offers costumers the option to pay their bill online. This is a secure service offered through eGov Strategies that allows you to see your water bill, payment history, and use your credit/debit card to pay your bill online.
Pay your bill online HERE.
*eGov Strategies charges a convenience fee for all payments made through their online payments. A fee of $1.50 or 2.49% of the payment (whichever is greater) is required for all Internet transactions. The City of Madison does not receive any of the processing fees. All payments made are processed the next business day.
Automated Clearing House (ACH) payment is available. Payment is taken directly out of your checking account on the due date and you still receive a monthly bill showing your usage and the amount of the bill that will be taken out on the due date. Never have a late bill again with ACH.
For customers who are disconnected due to non payment:
- Generally, the disconnections will be done from approximately 8 a.m. until all disconnections are completed.
- Re-connections begin to occur at approximately 1 p.m. for all customers who have come in and paid their past due bill and their re-connection fee of $25.
- Every customer that comes in by 2 p.m. will be reconnected the same day.
- Customers that come in after 2 p.m. will be reconnected on the next business day.